accountCall 020 3985 9557 Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
What is probate?
I would like to say that, I have found your service, to be quick, reliable and good value for money. I am happy in the knowledge that my Will is in safe storage for a nominal fee, and that I have the peace of mind that I will be able to amend, update or change my Will at any time, should circumstances dictate. I would highly recommend this service.
Anthony Monaghan More testimonials...

Create your will
in 3 simple steps...

Home / Further Information / Probate / What is probate?

When a person dies their “executors” (if the deceased left a will) or “administrators” (where there is no will) have the task of dealing with the deceased’s estate. The process of dealing with the estate is referred to as “probate” or “administration”, where there is no will.

Executors and administrators normally have to apply for a “grant of probate” (if the deceased left a will) or “letters of administration” (where there is no will) before they can deal with the deceased’s estate.

A grant of probate or letters of administration gives the executors or administrators the legal authority to deal with the deceased’s estate and allow them to sell the deceased’s property, for example.

Is a grant of probate or letters of administration always required?

In most cases a grant of probate or letters of administration will be required. However, a grant of probate may not be needed if property is jointly owned by the deceased and another person as “joint tenants” as the deceased’s share in the property automatically passes to the surviving joint tenant upon his or her death.

In the case of jointly held bank and building society accounts, the mere production of the death certificate may be sufficient in order for the monies in the account to be transferred to the surviving account holder.

Some institutions may be prepared to release monies without a grant of probate or letters of administration if the sum of money is small. Some banks and insurance companies will release up to £15,000 without seeing a grant of probate or letters of administration. Normally banks will release a sum of money to cover the cost of the deceased’s funeral upon the production of a death certificate.

As to whether an institution is prepared to release monies without sight of a grant of probate or letters of administration is a matter for their discretion.

A grant of probate or letters of administration will, however, be required in the following circumstances:

If the deceased owns assets, excluding any property held by him or her as joint tenants, worth over £5,000;

To transfer the ownership of or sell any stocks or shares held by the deceased;

If the deceased holds in his or her sole name more than £15,000 in any one bank account or insurance policy.

Request a Callback

Call between
send request

As seen in...

accepted payments call us now on 020 3985 9557 Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
© Copyright 2021 IWC Estate Planning & Management Ltd, Suite 43-45 Airport House, Purley Way, Croydon, CR0 0XZ
Disclaimer l Privacy Policy l Glossary l Terms & Conditions l Contact us
Single Will or Mirror Wills?

If you are a couple and wish to leave all your assets to each other then you could save money by making  Mirror Wills. You can also use Mirror Wills if you whish to leave your estate to the same beneficiaries. 
If you wish to leave different legacies, appoint different executors or you would like to specify individual funeral wishes then you will need to make two Single Wills.
single will mirror will